Well, my web site is anyway. I finally fixed the journal functions. That's why I haven't posted in so long, because I was tinkering with the code and broke it, and didn't bother fixing it until now.
I've decided that the original layout is not going to work, as it is too inflexible for a blog/gallery site. So I've decided to relocate the menu to a menu bar just below the header (as you can already see) and lose the nested menu on the left. Yeap, it's going to go.
The reason for this is that it will allow me to use the entire space below and remove design restrictions on the overall content layout. One drawback is that it will mean that I will have to take extra care when designing each section to ensure that navigation remains intuitive. However, being the interface design guru that I am, I am confident that whatever I do will be intuitive and easy to use.